Being in the startup scene since 2011, as a member of a StartUp team and then by co-founded GoZone I can say that running a StartUp is like sailing.
I am using that analogy because it is the most relevant metaphor I can use to describe a StartUp venture and of course because GoZone relates to sailing, by disrupting the way sailing is learned and that metaphor is more familiar to me.
So let’s see the 6 lessons a StartUp can learn from sailing:
- No one can survive being in a storm without having set a strategy, processes, and clear values.
- A good team needs a leader to inspire and guide them by giving the vision of the long run.
- The mentality of the team is a determinant factor for success.
- Thinking out of the box is a must so to overcome the luck of the resources in a turbulent environment.
- Team members should insist on following good tactics and adjust tactics or processes that didn’t work in the past.
- Resources, time and money should be allocated accordingly, so to save powers.
For those who have done sailing and had the experience of having successfully passed from a storm, it’s the most exhilarating feeling you may experience, like succeeding in your venture.
Full sheets and a rolling sea !
Looking forward to hearing your stories!